Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Fitted Mesh Meme

Thus far I've missed all the previous What’s your Digits? memes from Strawberry Singh. Not sure how I did it as I love the idea, but it happened nonetheless. What am I talking about?

Meme Instructions: Share your avatar’s digits and/or answer the following questions about Fitted Mesh and what you think the future holds for our Second Life avatars. If you decide to share your digits, feel free to add your image in the Digits Flickr Group.


Wracking My Braaaiinn for inspiration.
My Digits are dull. I use the so-called "Standard Mesh" shape in the medium size and I'm 6.09 feet (1.86m). My prim boobies skew the shape and my prim feet/hands don't matter in this respect. So skipping forward with the challenge at hand ...

1. What are your thoughts about Fitted mesh?
Many thoughts: A work in progress. I have far too many clothes as it is. The medium "Standard Mesh" shape is okay with me (an alt is a large and another is an extra small). If I need something to wear and it is "fitted" I might give it a try. Certainly in no rush.

2. Have you tried any of the new fitted mesh avatars released by Linden Lab? What do you think of them?
Yes, I have tried The Lab's new starter avatars and they certainly have some challenges, not the least of which is an automatic backlash from established Residents, a group well known to not just resist change, but to actively fight it. Very few of the clothes and none of the accessories (or items like hair) work well on traditional avatars without seriously reshaping the body. The surprise hit for SL photographers has been the pair of zombie avatars. Well made, versatile, and they look great with Advanced Lighting. Some of the most creative pictures I've seen in a while have included this gruesome twosome.

3. Have you tried any fitted mesh avatars/bodies created by residents?
Fitted mesh bodies for women seem to be popping up everywhere and almost every week I hear about a new one, but I have tried a demo of only one. Meh. Of course, the idea is still being fleshed out (if I may pun) so for an early effort I'd say it looked pretty good. I'm holding out for increased quality. In the meantime I have a lot of system layer clothes I still like to wear..

4. Have you tried a mesh head? What are your thoughts about mesh heads?
The SLink mesh head demo that I tried was of good quality, but even with changes in skin and makeup I couldn't personalize it enough to look like "me." Perhaps Second Life is on it's way to cookie cutter avatars like other virtual worlds have so standard faces will be the norm. Perhaps we need to wait for Avatar 3.0 or the fall of Second Life to have avatars that don't need all these body attachments.

5. Do you foresee a lot of changes to our current Second Life avatars because of fitted mesh?
No, but then again I haven't given it much thought.

No comments: